Many beginners in the aquarium fish keeping hobby face this crucial problem of picking up the perfect size of the fish tank. A fish tank is much more than just water and fish swimming in it.
It’s a complete ecosystem in itself which requires maintenance, care and knowledge. That is why if you are a beginner it’s better to start small and then expand as you gain experience and knowledge.
To start with you can go in with a 10 gallon tank that measures about 20″ X 10″ X 12″. This size is not too big and not too small and is easy to clean. This size of tank will even look beautiful and add value to your space because it will be noticeable.
There is a simple principle behind picking up a fish tank. Since fish survive on oxygen dissolved in water, it’s necessary that your fish tank setup allows easy exchange of oxygen from top water surface.
That is what always pick up a tank which is wide open from top. A tank with the same volume as a 10 gallon tank but with a narrow opening on to is not a good idea to start with. You’ll notice many fish tank in circular and vertical fashion, but as mentioned above they will affect oxygen exchange into the water.
Sky is the limit when it comes to decorating your aquarium. There are many cool ideas you can follow to replicate what you see in nature with proper care and guidelines. Here are some ideas to start with.
1) Use gravel at the bottom of the tank by sloping it a little towards the front. By making a slope you can easily collect solid waste in one corner of the tank and it will be easier to suck it out while siphoning your tank once in a week. Aquarium gravel is available online as well as in local pet stores.
2) Decorative rocks can add great abstract beauty to your fish tank. An arrangement of rocks can be used to form hiding places, caves that fish absolutely love. Some fish species are shy and love these hiding spaces. Many times these inner spaces are also used for laying eggs if you want to expand your hobby into fish breeding.
3) Aquatic plants – A wide variety of aquatic plants are available that make your fish tank look like a marvelous piece of nature. Since plants are living things they require some extra care like controlling duration of lights that falls on them.
4) Gem stones – These are available online in various colors an can be sprinkled at the fish tank bed by embedding them in gravel.
5) If you don’t want to spend any money on expensive decorating ornaments you can create your own caves, hiding spaces by using broken ceramic cups, pots. These add great excitement in your fish tank.
6) If you have some spare money you can buy dedicated decorating ornaments from online pet store or local pet stores like ships, tents, bridges that have been specifically designed for fish tanks. These add great beauty to your aquarium.